Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

1JUST BOUGHT 2010 GL350 BLUETEC AND CEL WAS ON SHOWING CODE

Customer Question

1JUST BOUGHT 2010 GL350 BLUETEC AND CEL WAS ON SHOWING CODE P2005 REPLACED INTAKE RUNNER MOTOR AND STILL SAME CODE CAME BACK . MERCEDES DEALER SAYS INTAKE MANIFOLDS NEED TO BE REPLACED.COULD THEY BE CLEANED UP? AND HOW BIG OF A JOB IS THAT?
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: LIGHT COMES ON AFTER 10 MILE OF DRIVING AND STAYS ON
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES I HAVE A SMALL REPAIR SHOP BUT NEVER WORKED ON GL 350 DIESEL..
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I HAVE REPLACED INTAKE RUNNER MOTOR, BUT HOW BAD OF A JOB IS IT TO R/R INTAKES AND CLEAN THEM BECAUSE DEALER IS SUGESTING NEW INTAKES.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 5 months ago.

Hello Mani may i have your vin please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
here is the vin. 4JGBF2FE9AA577378

thank you i will be back shortly

ok if you have changed the intake flap motor under the turbo then you have a good idea of the work involved with changing the actual intake manifolds, one of the biggest things we do is to activate the motor with the scan tool to make sure the flaps open and close and also with the motor removed you can manually open and close the flaps, have you done this when you were replacing the motor? its always possible you have a new part that is already defective.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
FLAPS WERE OPENING AND CLOSING WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM . BUT I DID NOT ACTIVATE THE MOTOR I DO NOT KNOW IF MY SNAP ON (SOLUS ALTRA) IS CAPABLE OF DOING IT.

ok that is the first thing i would go after then, is it safe to assume there was plenty of oil on top of the motor from the turbo and the seal?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
THERE WAS SOME OIL ON TOP OF MOTOR
YOU MEAN ACTIVATE THE MOTOR FIRST?

Yes, if you have a boroscope to see it activate the first thing i would do is try and activate it, sometimes the connection does not seat all the way, or the oil affects the circuit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HOW DO I ACTIVATE IT ?

in the CDI module there is a activation option, not sure if its on your snap on , you will have to see if you can find it in the activation's screen.