Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

There is bad moldy, stale smell coming out of my air vent

Customer Question

there is bad moldy, stale smell coming out of my air vent ac/heat. i replaced the cabin filer already but still the same
JA: HHave you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: coolant level is okay. i actually had the coolant replaced. no leak whatsoever
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, not yet. don't know where to look for
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that's all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, it sounds like you have mold build up on the a/c evaporator. There is a cleaning procedure that can be done that effectively removes the mold. The a/c drains should also be checked to be sure they are not clogged. Click on the attachment below for the cleaning procedure. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself you should be able to find a local repair shop or a/c shop that can perform the service for you. BG products are sold through repair shops. You can purchase a comparable product here.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please be sure to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for answering your question.

Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. I see that you have not clicked on a rating for my service therefore I have not been compensated by the website. Are you satisfied with my help on this?