Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

I have a 2011 Gl450. It has been experiencing difficulty

Customer Question

Hi there.
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: I have a 2011 Gl450.
JA: What is the model of your '11 Mercedes?
Customer: It has been experiencing difficulty starting lately. I put the key in the ignition and turn to start. The overhead lights come on but nothing on the dash or radio.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: We tested the batteries in the key and they are fine as well as the battery in the car is fine. Eventually it does work but takes about 10 to 15 tries. Any suggestions?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have verified the batteries are at proper voltage
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: At this time that is all I have.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 4 months ago.

Hello. The fault is most likely the ignition switch. It is not recognizing the key in the ignition. Next time this happens just leave the key in the ON position (2nd click of ignition switch) and wait until the dash lights all come on for the bulb check. Then the car will start. If this happens the way I describe then the issue is the ignition switch. It may take up to ten minutes with the key on to turn the dash on so be patient. That way you can at least drive the car until you can have the dealer replace it. The dealer is the only place that can replace this switch. Hope this information helps. Let me know if this helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

Please let me know if i am on par, this is extremely characteristic of a failed EIS ( electronic ignition switch). Lou