sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I was driving down the ghway yesterday on a hot day and the

Customer Question

I was driving down the highway yesterday on a hot day and the temperature symbol went on with the white color. There was no warning but the A/C was on and the engine temperature guage was in the middle. I turned off the A/C and opened the windows and the message was gone.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No and I just had the car serviced in late April.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: C280 2007 I have an appointment Wednesday According to the manual I thought it was the cooling fan, could it be something else?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know how to fix cars on my own being a woman
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I drove the car again last night although not too far and I could not find that water temp symbol message again. My sensors are always correct with my car I'm just finding answers.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause the engine to run hot including the thermostat, water pump, a radiator restriction, a combustion leak, or the coolant may be low due to an external leak. If the problem was only at low speeds or when stopped then the cooling fan would be very suspect, but if you were on the highway then there would have been enough natural airflow to cool the engine.

With the engine cool have you checked the coolant level?