sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

W140 ADS troubles

Customer Question

W140 ADS troubles
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Using STARC3. Stuck in sport mode. Only code is for the steering angle sensor. But the sensor responds correctly to steering input and gives no indication of being at fault.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Was leaving Jos. A. Bank today and found out something that might be helpful. I turned my car on and took a phone call, then noticed the ADS light wasn't on. Started to leave and it popped on.I did a few tests:Slight change of wheel (15*ish max): no light.
Large change: light.
Driving while keeping wheel within that 15* area: no light.With no light, I figured....wonder if the suspension works? I went to a straight country road, restarted my car and managed a couple of miles before having to turn.It worked. I could switch it on and off and it would respond. But going beyond that center ~30 degree arc would set off the light again and throw it stuck into sport mode.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you have a steering angle sensor code then there is little chance that the sensor won't need to be replaced, but it could be an alignment problem or a wiring issue depending on the exact code. If it's a performance type code and your steering wheel is more than about fifteen degrees off center then it can set a code. If it's setting a communication code then it could be a wiring issue or loss of power or ground to the sensor. If it's a performance type code and the steering wheel is centered then the sensor is going to need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2652770I have relevant pictures and some more information in this thread.

If the steering wheel is straight then the sensor is going to need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What do you mean by "if it is straight"? I get regular alignments done (last one 3,000 miles ago).

If the steering wheel is off center then it will set a steering angle sensor code. If the wheel is straight driving in a straight line then the sensor needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's as straight as any other car - not more than 5 or 10 degrees off center.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Plus, when kept within a certain range of center it won't set off the code.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The range it will read is +560* to -570*.

Ten degrees is pushing the limit. If it sees you're continually off center while driving then it's going to set a code.

If you believe the steering wheel is straight enough while driving straight then the sensor needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, I'll get the sensor replaced. Can I respond here again in about a week's time if it doesn't work?

Yes, you can come back and reply here at any time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just as a note, it sets off the code immediately without exception when it goes about 15-20 degrees from center.

The sensor is going to need to be replaced.