Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I have a 86 w124. ignition switch would not turn and broke

Customer Question

I have a 86 w124. ignition switch would not turn and broke the key leaving half of it inside tumbler. I think I know how to remove tumbler without key. However, I could not figure out how to remove the shield to get access to outer part of tumbler. Please help. Thanks
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Car is stocked in garage and no wheel lock feature.
JA: What year is your W100?
Customer: 86 w124
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I wouil
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's all and I wouild like to fix this myself and not spend for the simple problem for an old car. Car still runs beautiful even with 400k miles in it. Everything still original.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, you can only remove the shield if you are able to turn the key. Otherwise you will need to cut the steering lock housing at the steering column and remove the pieces. Click on the attachment below for the instructions.

Please rate my service in order for the website to credit me for answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually, the PDF download file did not help me since I already know the information included in the file. However, the instruction from Marty to cut the steering lock may not be worth the effort knowing the age of this car. I think I can just have it towed to salvage or donate the car to charity. Not worth doing all this work in my assessment.
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

I understand!