rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My SLK 350 makes a strong click but does not crank or start.

Customer Question

My SLK 350 makes a strong click but does not crank or start. Battery seems to be healthy headlights are bright, everything seems to be working except I cannot open the trunk. Check all the fuses could not see if there was one blown.
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: need help with what checking circuit means if that makes a difference
JA: What year is your SLK350?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: mentioned earlier
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The starter may be locking up against the flywheel, it should be pulled off and inspected.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can you help me locate the starter?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

It is under the engine to the side and it is bolted to the block where the nose of it goes toward the flywheel.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.