sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 1999 SL500 convertible with low mileage. had the

Customer Question

I have a 1999 SL500 convertible with low mileage. had the radio replaced and ever since I have trouble starting the car. battery is fine, engine turns over but will not start. sometimes after a few hours, it will start and run fine. What could be the problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is your answer?

Hey how are you

is there a security light flashing when this non start happens , if there is not ten we know you dont have a key recognition or anti theft receiver issue

I dont believe the radio should interfere with the starting issue you having

since you mentioned , if you leave it to cool down and came back it runs ,something is getting hot and failing and resting when its cold ,

is there a check eng light one at this time ? have you had the fault codes retrieved ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The security light is not flashing. the check engine light is on..what are the fault codes?

if the check engine light is on ,that means you can do a diagnostic scan and retrieve the error fault in the system which will help us identify the problem , is ckp sensor, cam sensor , mass air flow sensor etc ...

don t have to dealer to run scan , most shops now days have a scanner that is capable to communicate with your car, if u get codes ,let me know what they are and i can help u further and be more accurate of what is going on with your car

Thank You

Chad (aka-JHOOK1398)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the engine is not hot so that is not the problem

another expert will help i m going to opt out

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The engine light is on because the engine controller has seen a problem in a monitored component and has set a fault code. There is a good chance that what has turned the light on is also causing the no start condition. In any event, the first step in diagnosing this problem is to use a code reader or scan tool to see what fault codes have set and then testing will need to be done based on that.

Do you know what codes have set?