Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

My top is down (2002 CLK 320) and won't go up. The light

Customer Question

My top is down (2002 CLK 320) and won't go up. The light flashes, but that's it. The windows don't go down when I press the switch, but they do when I use the window buttons.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: I replaced the motor a few years ago, but I rarely put down the top
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm just trying to get the top up for now. It's going to rain! Can I do it manually?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. Just had service and everything was fine!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, when the light flashes it is telling you that there is a fault in the top actuation system or the trunk lid is not closed fully or the luggage cover has come out of place in the trunk. You will need to check the trunk and the luggage cover and get the system scanned for fault codes. For now you can close the top manually. Click on the link below and scroll to page 291 for the procedure.

Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

The fluid level in the pump should also be checked. If there is a leak in the system it could cause the problem although I would still expect the windows to lower if the fluid level was low. Most likely this is an electrical fault with one of the micro switches or relays or with the pump itself.

Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.