Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Second opinion please help,,,,04 mercedes s430 4matic was in

Customer Question

second opinion please help,,,,04 mercedes s430 4matic was in great condition had no sings of air leaks car sat perfect never seen car drop no more than a 1/2in right after turning off the car witch is normal experts say,,,, I've never hear air leaking besides when starting car again,,,,so my urgency is no car no job so if you can give me a second opinion it would be appreciated,,,,,,, so I'm driving like any other day when out of the blue the rear of my car slowing sank i only noticed it when the car was feeling terrible rough pulled over and found my rear was very low,,,,,,,so i guess my question is how dose both rear springs go without any sings or warnings or could it be something else????????
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Hi, it is unusual for both rear air suspension struts to fail at the same time. What may have happened is the air compressor has failed and is unable to raise the rear of the car back up. The air compressor should be checked for output pressure and the rear suspension struts should be checked for air leakage. The compressor should be able to produce approximately 12 bar pressure. If the pressure is too low it will cause the rear suspension to eventually lower. If the compressor is okay then the likely problem is a leak in one or both struts or in the pressure line to the struts.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty