Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

Change front seal in engine. then engine is not starting :

Customer Question

change front seal in engine. then engine is not starting
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: brand new battery.the is not turn over
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: engine model om904
JA: What year is your Mercedes?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: michanic change crank shaft oil seal front.engine stop tumbling
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: electrian check complete electrical and find no problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the starter engaging to crank over the engine but the engine is not starting with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what type of information you need
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Did you get my post above asking if the starter was engaging to crank over the engine or if it was not engaging at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
engine had oil leak on front pully.change seal then engine is not starting from ignition
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,check and make sure no wiring was damaged around the front crank seal and harmonic balancer area.On some models the crank sensor or engine rpm sensor is located in this area and reads off of the harmonic balancer and if this was damaged or wiring is damaged or disconnected this will cause this issue here.I suspect this will be a component like this here at fault with a sensor disconnected or damaged or wiring disconnected or damaged needing reinstalled or in some cases replaced.

If the fault codes were not read out/checked at all with a fully compatible scan tool this needs done to see if any codes are set that will help diagnose and locate this issue here.Crank sensor failure can be common to cause this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete