Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My husband recently replaced the rotors and pads on our

Customer Question

My husband recently replaced the rotors and pads on our S550. Days later the parking brake light came on after having new rear tires put on. I parked and did who knows what and it went off. Weeks later I had some from the end work done and when the mechanic called for me to pick it up he informed me the parking brake light was on a d he couldn't get it to go off. To this day I cannot figure out how to fix it. I tried the manual release through the gas cap location (not sure what that's called ;)....didn't work, but it's not engaged so I didn't think it would make a difference.) I've checked the fluid...it's fine. Read something about looking under the dash for a small press buttons, don't know how to get under the dash! Do you think it is a broken sensor from changing the rotors? If so how hard is that to repair and how costly. We just want to sell the darn thing but now it seems it one thing after another!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** the warning light actually display the word PARK or PARKING BRAKE?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are two lights both say park one in red one in yellow
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Then was the car is started the yellow goes away but the red remains
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On the dash it say Park Parking Brake See Operating Manual
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi marty...BTW :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do i need to adjust that thingy under the rear seat? Lol
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Okay, the fault will be with the electronic parking brake controller. Let me check to see if there is anything he may have done in the rear that could cause this. I'll reply back shortly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Looking at the rear calipers and parking brake I think the only thing that may have happened is he disconnected or damaged one of the parking brake cables. He should inspect the cables and make sure that they are attached and correctly fitted into their brackets. If the cables have come loose the brake will not function properly and the warning light will come on. If the cables are fitted properly you will need to get the car connected to the Mercedes tester to check for fault codes and reset the parking brake system.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK so I will have him check out those cables before bothering with the electronic braking control. Are both very difficult to repair? Expensive?
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

The cables are not too bad but the controller is pricey. If the cables are not the problem they may be able to perform a reset on the parking brake control unit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pricey like 100's or 1000's lol more than $300? Is it something we can do or does the dealer have to do it
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

The cables are $60 and $85 but the controller is $950. Replacing the cable is probably not something that you should attempt.

Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Sorry I hit send prematurely. Replacing the cable is probably not something that you should attempt. The Mercedes Star Diagnosis tester is required for moving the brake controller into the assembly position.

Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please don't forget to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.