Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

It makes a whining noise when cranked. The noise changes

Customer Question

It makes a whining noise when cranked. The noise changes when car has warmed up. The noise seems to be the transmission.
JA: Do you have a manual or an automatic transmission? When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: Automatic
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2004 S430
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I haven't tried anything. I am reluctant to take it to the dealer bewcause if it is the transmission I can't afford to pay for a overhaul or new transmissiom
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The noise has been like that for about 30,000 miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, if you have a whining noise from the transmission I would suggest having the transmission fluid and filter replaced. A clogged transmission filter can cause the transmission pump to make a whining noise. Since the transmission is working and has been making the noise for 30,000 miles I would not suspect that a transmission overhaul is needed.

Let me know if you have any questions.