Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

I have a 1998 ML 320 with a Radiator Fan Issue. The fan may

Customer Question

I have a 1998 ML 320 with a Radiator Fan Issue. The fan may or may not come on. When it does, it cools slowly if the fan comes up at the Lower Speed and will freeze you if it comes on at the High Speed.
It has to be a Sensor or a Relay issue.
I don't think that it's a Compressor issue.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The ac cooling fan usually will come on with high outside temps over 85 usually as well as high ac pressures with the ac running.It can run from low to high speed as needed to cool the ac condensor to allow proper ac operation.If it is actin up compared to how it used to work I would have the freon checked to see if your model is low on freon at all as this can cause this type of fault here.If found low the leak needs located and repaired and the freon refilled to correct this issue.If this is o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That was my initial thought, the ambient outside temperature doesn't necessarily turn on the radiator fan, even the temperature of the coolant does nothing. I'll see about getting a recharge and adding a dye to find if it has a leak.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete