MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

Not a question but to my previous questions and issue. I

Customer Question

Not a question but a follow up to my previous questions and issue.
I performed the test of the pump while is was submerged in the tank and found that no power was getting to the pump even though there was power at the harness. I connected power directly to the pump using alligator clips and it work. So I inspected the connector coming into the fuel tank and found that there was a whitish gummy plastic looking substance in the positive wire connector. I used a small tip flat blade screw driver and scrape away the substance (do not know what it is) and reconnect to the tank and now the pump works fine. I think this was my issue all along and it took two new pumps to find it. the car is up and running like a charm. I now have an extra good pump ( I throw away the original). Whatever the substance was it cause the pump to work when I had replaced the pump and through the act of disconnecting and reconnecting the harness it made connection but would fail eventually. I think the best test would have been either testing for power at the pump itself or apply 12v to the pump itself and then work back from there.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Excellent job! I'm glad you got it sorted out.