rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

DRIVING AT 35 MPH CAR BEGAN TO STALL AND LOSE POWER, CAR

Customer Question

DRIVING AT 35 MPH CAR BEGAN TO STALL AND LOSE POWER, CAR EVENTUALLY GAINED POWER AND ACCELERATION, ONCE DRIVING SLOWER THE CAR LOST POWER AGAIN AND CUT COMPLETELY OFF AFTER ALL LIGHTS ON DASH BOARD CAME ON. SELLING DEALER STATED THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM WHICH WAS A SENSOR BUT THE CAR IS NOW LOSING POWER AGAIN ONE MONTH LATER. THE INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR LIGHTING ALWAYS FLICKER UPON STARTING THE VEHICLE
JA: Have you checked the dashboard control switch? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: No I'm on the side of road waiting for my tow truck
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if I can
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only thing I have tried is turning off the car and starting it back up
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: No my car only was 94000 miles on it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Problems like these are best off with a shop because they need to scan the computer again and also look at pertinent data such as codes and freeze frame from codes. they also need to check MODE 6 with their scan tool which will give them a complete story of the motor performance.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Car started up again, I'm almost home and car cut off again now the check engine light is on, but no malfunction on display
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Okay, that's actually good that the light came on. This means that a code has been set and will also help us to diagnose this.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.