Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a S500 Mercedes Benz 2000 I got the transmission

Customer Question

I have a S500 Mercedes Benz 2000 I got the transmission replaced and when I picked it up my steering was very stiff I took it back to authorized dealer and he told me my steering valve needed to be replaced another $488 for part now it's replaced a little easier to steer but still stiff when you turn it does not recover unless you physically turn the wheel back,
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: Yes it appears to be full
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No I want to know if the Steering Valve has been replaced then what else could it be
JA: OK! The Mercedes Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: I have just gotten transmission replaced when I drove it home the car started to move on its own I had it in park and the car was going in reverse down my driveway. I took it back to authorized Mercedes Benz dealer and they adjusted the linkage now I'm having stiff steering wheel never recovers, if you make a right turn it just keep turning until you physically turn it back.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I would suggest that you have the wheel alignment checked. If this is a new problem that developed as soon as you took delivery of the car after the transmission replacement I suspect that the alignment was disturbed. Anytime the wheel does not return on it's own the alignment should be inspected. The steering linkage, including the steering gear and suspension ball joints should also be checked. They should also scan the power assist system for fault codes to be sure that the new valve is working.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty