Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I just got told by the dealer that the shutoff port intake

Customer Question

I just got told by the dealer that the shutoff port intake motor is not opening and closing correctly... they want $2,000 to replace plus 700 to clean... is this common and a good price
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 70,544.. 350 BlueTec GL
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No ... I don't know how... but I want a good price if it has to be done
JA: OK! The Mercedes Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: I was smelling burning oil when the car would run for a bit...the check engine light didn't come on at all but after 70,000 mile service two weeks ago.. several message lights appeared intermittently and the check engine light.... now the dealer says there is a small leak on the oil cooler and the shutoff intake port thing is damaged
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

What year 350GL Bluetec?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2010.. also as stated in the chat there is a smalll oil leak that they say requires new seals and gaskets at $3000.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, it is almost 15 hours to replace, which is around $1500 to $1700 for labor charges, cost of parts including gaskets, seals, etc, is around $600. So total to replace the motor is $2100 to $2300. Cleaning all the ports is 6hrs, so around $600 to $800

For the oil leaks, hard to say if the $3000 is fair or not without knowing exactly which seals/gaskets need to be replaced - front timing seal, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, etc.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?