Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy, ASE master with L1
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas
93876653

2004 e500 po705 problem : Dead battery 6 months jump the car

Customer Question

2004 e500 po705 problem
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Dead battery for about 6 months jump the car whit jump cables check engine light on po705 p0131 new battery
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: New battery
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I deleted the codes and the car runs fine on all gears check engine came back boom limp mode again
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: Nop
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 11 months ago.

the p0131 is for an oxygen sensor low voltage, which would not be causing your limp mode issue.

The p0705 however, Is what is causing your limp mode issue. I have seen this exact issue before a few times and want to you to check the connector above the trans pan on the transmission, ill attach some pictures.

What happens is fluid can leak from that seal, and then inside the connector, and get into the contacts of that connector and cause a "short" or what the computer sees as a short.

One you seperate the two connectors, you will need to use a 7mm socket to get the old connector out and go to the dealer to buy a new one (Which comes with new seals) then just push it in, install the 7mm screw, spray off the other end of the connector with electrical parts cleaner (Can be had at any auto parts store) reset the light, and thats all there is.

It may seem a little intimidating to tackle on your own, but take a look under the car after you see the pictures I am sending and its not to difficult.

please feel free to ask me any other questions you have after reading my reply, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Also, please do not forget to rate my service since that is the only way I get credit for my answer from this website.

Thank you!!

The pictures did not load in order for some reason, view them in numerical order. 4,5,7,8,13.