Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I just bought a 1998 SLK coupe from a private party. In the

Customer Question

I just bought a 1998 SLK coupe from a private party. In the center of the control panel is a small light that reads LIM. I have consulted the Owners' Manual and is just says that it is something that haws to be addressed at a Mercedes shop. It doesn't tell me what the fault is.
JA: How old is your battery? When was the last tune up?
Customer: the battery is 6 months old and I don't know when the tune-up was.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I first want to know what it is indicating
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** is for the variable speed limiting system. The light is normally switched off by default. If the LIM light remains on you will need to have the instrument cluster recoded by the Mercedes dealer. This is simply a coding issue, it is not indicating a malfunction. There is no harm in driving the car with the LIM light illuminated.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

One more thing, if there are any more warning lights or symbols illuminated other than LIM it indicates a fault with the traction control system. If that is the case you will need to get the fault codes read in the traction control module to determine the failure.