FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

We have a 2008 Sprinter 3500, and the brake pedal is very

Customer Question

We have a 2008 Sprinter 3500, and the brake pedal is very soft and goes to the floor. I read on another forum that the guys who had these problems for YEARS, and tried MANY things finally replaced the 2004 master cylinder with a 2014 part and that is the only thing which fixed this problem. It is noteworthy that this problem seemed widespread, and from 2005 on. What do you know about this issue?
JA: Working brakes are essential. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: We have about 130,000 miles, had the brakes inspected and all seemed fine, but squishy pedal an issue.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Mercedes Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. These are some issues with the master cylinders on this vehicle. The majority of the issues had to do with the fact that the master cylinders were not the correct ones that were installed from the manufacturer, causing a series of issues. There was actually a recall on these because of this. I would contact the dealer to see if yours was ever replaced under recall and if it was not then you may be able to get it replaced for free.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I called Sprinter and was told my vin did not match up for the master cylinder recall. But, when I read about this problem on Edmunds forum, it is exactly what people had to do to fix this problem. Also, the recall that we do match is bad, because the air bag issue is not being handled according to complaints. So, I am concerned about both issues. You knew about the mastewr cylinder issue, but according to them, it is not all 2008 models. Seems if we are having this problem, it is our model as well.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 months ago.

They will pick and choose which vehicles to cover depending on requirements. I would contact the manufacturer and get them involved as they are more likely to cover this.