Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

Was told I should buy the battery under the hood, which you

Customer Question

Was told I should buy the battery under the hood, which you called a starter battery, from a dealer. Dealer cost is over $200 and dealer said i probably should not disconnect that battery because it might mess up the computer settings. Is that correct and can i get that battery at Advance auto for example? Can I simply take that battery out and replace it myself and is there any special trick to that I would not know about?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 4 months ago.

Hello the dealer should not have told you that lol. The fact that it is a starter battery tells you that it's only function is to start the car. Your main systems battery is in the trunk. However I would advise that you get a gel or AGM battery from interstate. Or from Mercedes. The batteries from parts stores never last. They are easy to replace just make sure you take the negative off first and reinstall it last. Hope this information helps. If you have any questions please let me know. I'll do my best to help. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.