Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1978 Mercedes Benz 450 sl. I jumped it to start it

Customer Question

I have a 1978 Mercedes Benz 450 sl. I jumped it to start it and now when I turn key to start it The only that happens is the gas gauge gives a reading. Nothing else works. Is there a main fuse? I am looking at a wiring diagram. Where are these fuses Located? I am hoping jumping it blew a fuse. Car started after jumping it. But would not start after i turned it off. I charged battery, so I do not think that is problem. Hope you can help me.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Hi, all of the fuses are located inside the car on the passenger side kick panel. There are no fuses that would affect the starter operation. If your starter doesn't work when you turn the key the possibilities are the ignition switch, neutral safety switch, starter motor, shift linkage, battery or wiring. You need to check the voltage to the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the start position. If you have 12V to the small wire on the starter you simply have a bad starter. If you don't have voltage you need to work your way back in the circuit to determine where you are losing the voltage.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. I never received credit from the website because you never rated my service. Are you satisfied with my help on this question?