Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 1991 190e 2.3 when I start it it runs fine but when

Customer Question

I have a 1991 190e 2.3 when I start it it runs fine but when it warms up a little it wants to quit and I put a new fuel pump thinking it was that any answers
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello, when it does die, does it die slowly and run worse and worse until it dies or does the engine simply shut off?

if the engine shuts off how long does it have to sit before it will start again?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It skips like lack of fuel then quits then will start up and will quit after a minute or so let it sit for the night it will run good then spit and spuder an quit artery it warms up

ok sounds very much like a failed temperature sensor, if the sensor is stuck cold it will inject excess fuel until the sensor hits a warmer temperature, so if the sensor is stuck cold it will keep injecting excess fuel until it floods the engine. i bet if it dies you can pull a plug and find that its wet with fuel.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It will sit and idle for a lone time but when I put it in gear and go to take off is when it does it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where's this temperature sensor location

ok that may be different then, i have to look for the sensor in the information, its been awhile since i worked on one of these old babies.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a manual I can find it what else do you think it could be

If not fuel then it is spark, so when the car dies spray with starter fluid to see if it starts, if not then pull a plug and see if its wet, if its wet then there is a spark issue. if its not wet then its a fuel issue. and should start with starter fluid.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It starts back up but runs ruff for a minute then will ideal put it in gear it quits has brand new fuel pump filter Gas and plugs and wire
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What you have told me so far I tryed that's why I got on this site and payed money for expert advice
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The check engine light isn't even on I don't know what it could be

Apparently my advice is not good enough. You failed to answer any of my questions. You are not helping me help you. We can guess all day but I needed you to confirm if it is spark or fuel. I don't care how many new parts are on the car. That means nothing. We are no further than we were when we started. It's simple. When the car dies we need to know what is stopping. Fuel or spark. It's simple. Once we know that I know what path we need to take. You wanted expert advice well I am your man. BUT if I don't have reliable info how am I supposed to help. I don't like to mess around so if you want me to continue helping then I need you to confirm what is Happening when the car dies. Are we losing fuel or are we losing spark. I have urgency to get you fixed up as a soon as possible so we can both move on. So let me know if you still want to work with me or not either is fine , but I really do care and really want to help. That's why I chose your question so no other "expert " attempts to help you. Let me know. Lou P.

i will opt out and see if another expert can help.