Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

My car overheated and the anti-freeze emptied out and it

Customer Question

my car overheated and the anti-freeze emptied out and it shut off...we let it cool and filled the reservoir up and tried to start it but it wouldn't start....
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Greg replied 6 months ago.
Okay when this happens its normally due to a sticking thermostat .Sadly if after filling with coolant then trying to start and will not then most likely you have blown a headgasket .What you are going to have to do is first remove all spark plugs and do a engine compression test .you may find that the compression is low on a few cylinders .Also check engine oil and coolant for oil deposits in the coolant .coolant in the engine oil. In many cases when a headgasket blows due to overheating many think that oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil is a must .this is not true, you need to do a compression test to confirm this if no oil in coolant or coolant in oil. When spark plugs are removed you can also do a coolant system pressure test ,if the pressure does not hold then the gasket is bad if the rest of the system is ok and good. Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,A bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.