Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

My 2004 merceds benz 320.automatic trans stays in first

Customer Question

my 2004 merceds benz 320.automatic trans stays in first gear,even in comfort mode at all speeds.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 5 months ago.
Hello, is there a check engine light on? does the shifter display in the dash match the gear you are selecting?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
check engine light is on.shifter indicates being in C.
ok thanks, ***** ***** should also indicate whether the gear is in P, R, N, D, or 4,3,2,1 depending on if you hit the shifter down. are you saying the car does not upshift and stays in gear 1 and the rpms will raise and all?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
trans stays in 1st gear no auto shift.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
R.p.m. rises to the max no shilt.
OK so what happened was a fault with the transmission or gear shifter has happened and the module has locked the transmission into the last known good will need to have the codes read from a shop that has access to a scanner that can read the mercedes benz transmission module, if you go to a parts store they will just give you a generic code from the engine module which will not help. once you get the code i can tell you what the most likely issue is. hope this helps. usually the speed sensor on the electrohydraulic plate is faulty and is a easy repair. Lou P. so get the codes and let me know and i can assist further unless you dont work on cars yourself then you need to have the shop diagnose it and fix it but it the issue is within the transmission or shifter sensors. Lou P.
Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.