Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 1996 e320 and the ignition lock has failed, that is

Customer Question

I have a 1996 e320 and the ignition lock has failed, that is the tumbler will only go to 1st. position. I have a new steering lock 210 462 00 30, and a new tumbler 202 462 00 79. I have removed the parking brake wire cable, the escutcheon and am trying to remove the vertical pin that is holding the assembly in, but cant push the pin but maybe 1/4" upward. I guess that the lock is maybe not fully in position one. How can I get that pin out?
Thanks,
Lawson
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 11 months ago.
Hello, the only way to get the pin out easily is to turn the ignition to the 2nd click, if you cannot get it to the second click then you will have to use a saw and cut the lock mechanism off as close to the column as possible to get the safety mechanism loose to remove the internal pieces and allow the pin to be removed. what ever you do, do not insert the lock cylinder into the steering lock and turn it off, the new lock comes already in position 2, as long as you can easily press in the steering lock pins then it is ok, if the lock gets distrurbed it will ratchet out and be destroyed and non usable. hope this helps, Lou P.