Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1979 mercedes 450 sl will not start, makes buzzing sound

Customer Question

1979 mercedes 450 sl will not start, makes buzzing sound when turn the key
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car ran fine yesterday. Could not start car today, does not grind just buzzes.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: probably not but it would be nice to know what I am looking at
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: Till today it has been dependable, it is in the garage all winter and taken to mechanic at tobogganing of spring. good shape
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

HI, my name is***** should first check the battery cables and try a jump start. If you have no success you may have a faulty starter or a problem with the neutral safety switch on the transmission. When you turn the key to the start position the battery voltage goes from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch and on to the starter. If the shift linkage is not in park or neutral the starter will not operate. Try starting it in neutral in case the park contact in the neutral safety switch has gone bad. Next you will need to check the voltage going to the starter. If you have 12V to the starter solenoid wire when you turn the key to the start position you simply have a bad starter motor.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for taking your question.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. Do you need any more help with this?

Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. I never received credit from the website because you never rated my service. Are you satisfied with my help on this question?