Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Marty, This post has given me hope...I did the same thing as

Customer Question

Marty, This post has given me hope...I did the same thing as the last guy and tryed to jump another car with my Ml350, it sparked and the ml350 turned off. I put a jumper from the jumper post to the fuse box and it starts. I would like to have the deal ship replace it but want to avoid the tow, can I ride with a jumper from the jumper post to the fuse terminal?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Hi, it's pretty risky running with a positive jumper installed. If you insulate the jumper so that there is no possible way that it can short out to the chassis I would be comfortable. I would only do this to get the car to the dealership. I would not drive around town with the jumper installed.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for taking your question.

Marty

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should I buy a special wire to make this connection or just use a small set of jumper cables? It is about 20 miles to my dealership. Also Is this something a closer repair shop can replace, also is this something I can replace? I am comfortable replacing batteries etc. I can disconnect the negative in the batter under the seat.
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

You could purchase a heavy gauge piece of wire and make the connections but a jumper cable will work fine as long as you protect it from shorting. If you disconnect the negative cable it is safe to work on the electrical system.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, I decided to go to Walmart and get a heavy gauge wire and make the connection. Can you tell me what the precise is there if I can just bypass it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pre-fuse not precise sorry
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

I'm not following you. Do you want the amperage rating of the prefuse? There are 2 - 100 amp and 1 - 40 amp circuits.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vin number is ***** can you perhaps give me information on the part installation, price and/or how to order
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

The part number is ***** 540 08 50. It retails for $65 at the Mercedes dealer. You can purchase one here.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was asking what the part I busted is for. Ijust want to be sure bypassing it and driving won't do any harm. Thanks for the part info.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What gauge wire should I use, 18, 16?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I found a 4 gauge with ring connectors attached, says for switch to starter...this is it right?
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Hi, sorry for the wait I had to leave last night. A 4 gauge is fine. The prefuse is for the ESP module and the suction fan and the engine compartment fuse box.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Hi Paul, I'm just following up with you on this question. I see that you have not rated my service. Was my information helpful?

Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Hi Paul, did you get this problem squared away?

Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Hi Paul, I'm just following up with you on this question. I never received credit from the website because you never rated my service. Are you satisfied with my help on this question?