Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

320: my mercedes 2001 320 wont come out of park. It will start

Customer Question

my mercedes 2001 320 wont come out of park. It will start by holding key for about 2 seconds then starter starts cranking
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Hi Ron, my name is***** sounds like there may be a fault with the stop light switch mounted up above the brake pedal. If the switch malfunctions you will not be able to get the car out of park. There is an emergency override for the park lock that you can use so to get the car out of park to enable you to get the car to the shop. I've attached a picture below. The problem could also be caused by a faulty shifter but the stop light switch is the more common failure. Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for taking your question.

Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

Hi Ron, I'm just following up with you on this question. Did you get this figured out?