Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

New purchase of a 97 SL 500. Car has 67k miles and is in very

Customer Question

New purchase of a 97 SL 500. Car has 67k miles and is in very good condition. Wife pulled up to work the other day and the temp was at 120, I drove down the highway and it cooled to 100 but as soon as I got off and up to 45 the temp rose quickly to 120 again. It was a hot day but this seems crazy to me.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: typing to you
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Most common to cause this here is the thermostat sticks closed or does not open properly or all of the way causing this issue here.I have had to replace the thermostat several times before on these for this issue her.It should run around 80 to 95 at the most with 100 on very hot days.If you have not had this looked into yet I would have the thermostat tested to verify it needs replaced and the engine cooling fan tested as well to make sure it is operating properly. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete