Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Changes battery and now I have a battery drain JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

Changes battery and now I have a battery drain
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: After changing battery in now have a battery drain
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Was going to try
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: Had out in a auto zone battery now I went to a dealer and purchased a mercedes battery.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If this battery drain only occurred after battery replacement what can occur is one or more of the control units/ecus can lose their calibration for one or more components and can stay powered up searching for a signal causing the power drain.I have seen this before with electronics on these models here and usually what has to be done is to have either a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set in each computer as this will help to see if a component needs calibrated or normalized or a dealers sds machine used to do the same here.This usually takes up to an hour to check and perform any normalization or calibration.If this draw/drain was an issue before the battery was replaced let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you send me a list of what needs to be calibrated?ANDI can't find an online user manual for a 1999 clk320 cabriolet. Can you send me a pdf of that manual?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know there is a reset procedure but other sure what that list is.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately I dont have access to a user manual for this model here but you may be able to obtain one either from a dealer or from https://www.alldatadiy.com/ for a small fee.The dealer is usually the best options as they can order in a factory manual for you.My info doesnt give me the manual on this here.The resets may be with window normalizations and roof calibrations which usually need done with a compatible scan tool or dealers sds machine in some cases.There may be a throttle learn that needs done and a crank relearn which these are also done with one of these tools here.Unfortunately this does usually require a compatible scan tool or dealers sds machine to do these. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete