Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. troubleshooting, diag. electrical, collision

SL600: Our SL600 appears to have the same problem. Is this

Customer Question

Our SL600 appears to have the same problem. Is this possible? And is it harmful to drive the car with the baffle banging around?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .We can't see what you might mean by "the same problem". Is there a rattle in the exhaust?
It is showing that you are waiting for me. Let me send this as a test, thanks
A phone call would not be in your best interest. I am not able to draw diagrams or give instructions over the phone..There were some issues with the exhaust systems on a lot of them. Factory service bulletins. Would you want a copy of the bulletin or campaign on it?
If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the bulletin and instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,
Do you still need help with it?
TO: ***** ***** CENTERSSUBJECT: MODELS 203, 209, 211, 215, 230 MODEL YEARS 2004 -2005CHECK CATALYTIC CONVERTERS AND REPLACE IF NECESSARYThis Service Campaign has been initiated because DAG has determined that the inner funnel material of the catalytic converter on the affected vehicles may warp which, in extreme cases, may lead to noise complaints.
EXHAUST SYSTEM - RATTLING/HISSING/HUMMING NOISESDate: February 2004Order No.: S-B-49.10/08Supersedes:Group: 49SUBJECT:MODELS 129, 170, 202, 203, 208, 209, 210, 211, 215, 220, 230, 163, WITH ENGINES 104, 111, 112, 113, 119, 137, 271, 275, NOISES IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM This Service information contains the following guidelines and tips which are intended to help with the cause of noises within the exhaust system.The suggested work steps and the procedure are intended to provide assistance in the event of noises in the exhaust system which may not be immediately and conclusively definable.NOTE :As a result of the above, please replace only the part requiring replacement as determined by the procedure as indicated within this Service Information. There are possible causes for the noises within the exhaust system, these include:^Shields loose on vehicle underbody.^Heat shields loose on front and rear mufflers.^Exhaust system which is under tension.^Monolith in the catalytic converter is loose. Additionally, as a remedy ask your customer:^Under what condition does the problem arise (temperature, engine speed, vehicle stationary or while driving?).^Is the noise or condition reproducible in the workshop? First, while performing the diagnostic work, determine the noise and classify into the following groups:A.Rattling Noises B.Humming Noises C.Airflow and or Hissing Noises D.Foreign Object / Collision Damage to the Exhaust System A.RATTLING NOISES