Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

ML-55: How to replace the motor mounts on a 2000 ML-55

Customer Question

How to replace the motor mounts on a 2000 ML-55
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.
Hi, Here are directions - see attachment for diagram of parts to remove referenced in below directions Remove/Install Front Engine Mounts And/Or Engine Support1 Disconnect ground cable of battery- Only necessary if the right side is removed.NOTE:- After connecting the ground cable, read out diagnostic trouble code memory, encode radio and normalize power windows.- Vehicles with stationary heater:Adjust time display on stationary heater.2 Remove engine trim panel3 Remove resonance tube (1) and resonance unit (2)CAUTION: Do not damage plastic plate.NOTE:- The resonance pipe is attached at the rear at the intake manifold with a plastic plate.- Separate plug connection of hot film mass air flow sensor (HFM) for this step and- unbolt resonance pipe at cylinder head cover.4 Remove engine compartment paneling5 Remove viscous-drive fan (3).- Only on model 163.172NOTE: Right-hand thread.6 Remove fan shroud (4)NOTE: Only necessary on model 163.172 if left side is removed.- Unscrew bolts (5) at bottom of the fan shroud.7 Remove poly-V belt (6)- Only necessary if the left side is removed.NOTE: Installation: Lock tensioning device with a drift or pin (diameter 5 mm).8 Remove air guide plate (7)NOTE: Only necessary with engine 113.942 if left side is removed.9 Unscrew AC compressor (8)- Only necessary if the left side is removed.NOTE: Attach A/C compressor at bottom in engine compartment with lines and cables connected.10 Remove wheelhouse liners (9)11 Remove shields (10, 11)- Only necessary if the left side is removed.12 Unscrew nuts (12) at top of engine supports (13, 14)13 Unscrew nut (15) at frameNOTE: Before unscrewing the left engine mount, press oil line of power steering out of fixture.14 Fit on engine supporting frame15 Raise engine at front lifting eyeCAUTION: Ensure that the engine and the attached parts do not touch the body! Do not over-tension coolant lines and electric cables!16 Remove shields (16)17 Unbolt ground cable (W11/5) at right engine support (14)- Only necessary if the right side is removed.18 Unscrew engine supports (13, 14) at crankcaseNOTE: Screws (17) must be used only once.19 Remove engine supports (13, 14) and engine mount (18)- Installation: Observe identification and Installation position of engine mounts (18).NOTE:- Environmental protection regulations for disposal of engine mounts- Dispose engine mounts into mixed scrap.20 Install in the reverse order.21 Read diagnostic trouble code memory and erase.- Only necessary if the right side is removed.- Stored faults which can result from cables being disconnected or from simulation during removal and installation or test work, have to be processed and erased in the fault memories after completing the work.Bolt of front engine mounts to front axle carrier.........................35 N.mBolt of engine mount to engine carrier....................................55 N.mBolt of engine support to crankcase1st stage.................................................................20 N.mStep 2................................................................90 degrees Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.