sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I had an SRS error on my 2005 CLK320. I replaced the clock

Customer Question

Hi, I had an SRS error on my 2005 CLK320. I replaced the clock spring and steering sensor and now I still have the SRS error and also have an ESP error.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Pearl did you get my message
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the clock spring and steering sensor and still have the SRS error and now I have an ESP error. Is the steering sensor out of position?
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: No just the SRS and ESP errors.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It's possible that terminals were damaged when installing the new components. If not then you have at least a couple different issues going on. If there isn't terminal damage then there is a deeper issue than the clockspring causing the airbag light to come on, the ESP light may just be coming on due to lack of steering angle sensor calibration.Do you know what fault codes are setting in the ESP and airbag modules? Using a scan tool to read the fault codes is the first step in diagnosis.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My scan tool doesn't show any codes. Is there a special code reader needed by Mercedes? Mine doesn't re-calibrate the steering sensor either.
What are you using to check for codes?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ODB Auto Doctor Standard addition
It looks like that's just a generic OBDII code reader. Do you have a module menu showing the airbag and ESP modules?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no a Mercedes specific code reader is expensive. I'll have to go to a shop that has one and get the codes read and the Steerng sensor re-calibrated.
The scan tool or code reader doesn't have to be Mercedes specific but fault codes are going to need to be read with something that's actually capable of communication with these other modules. An OBDII code reader can only communicate with the engine controller and not any of the other modules on a vehicle.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you recommend a low cost code reader either Windows or android?
If you have a laptop then Autoenginuity would give the most capability for the cost.https://www.autoenginuity.com/