Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

Windows drop slightly, hear beep from dash and top will not

Customer Question

windows drop slightly, hear beep from dash and top will not go down
JA: You're in good hands. The mechanics are bona fide experts, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one to suss out any problems with the dash you might be having. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: top worked before car was detailed
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: 2005 CLK 500
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. What can occur here is the top can lose its learn/programming and can cause this sudden failure of operation especially if the battery was unhooked for any reason.The relearn usually has to be done with a dealers SDS machine or a compatible scan tool that can do this relearn here.This is usually something that a dealer or shop can do in less then a half hour.The other issue I have seen is a fault with one of the position sensors/limit switches sending an incorrect signal on what position one of the convertible components are in.When this occurs this disables the full top operation and causes this issue with the fault codes then needing checked with a compatible scan tool that can communicate with the roof components to see what codes are set then from there those codes diagnosed to locate and correct this fault.Usually the scan tool is also used to monitor the sensors to see which one is sending a faulty signal needing replaced.One may have been damaged during the repair causing this here.Since there are several of these this will need checked having the codes checked first and the sensor signals checked to see which is at fault here.If found that one is faulty needing replaced I would speak with the facility that did the detailing to see if they will help or cover the costs for replacement. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete