Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Sl500: The antenna on my 500sl does not extend it goes up and

Customer Question

The antenna on my 500sl does not extend it goes up and down about 2 inches constantly it has a new stem. I removed the fuse so not to burn out the motor what could be the problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 7 months ago.
Hello, just to clarify, you stated it goes up and down 2 inches constantly, does that mean that when the radio turns on the antenna only goes up 2 inches and no further? or that the antenna keeps moving up and down on its own?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
THE ANTENNA MOVES UP AND DOWN ON ITS OWN SOMETIMES IT WILL GO ALL THE WAY UP AND THE RADIO WILL WORK THIS IS VERY SPORADIC
ok so the things i would check is to pull the radio out and wiggle the connection at the back of the radio to see if the wiring is loose and the same at the antenna motor as a loose connection will tell the antenna that the radio is turning on and off . that is the first place i would start, i think its the blue wire at the motor i would have to double check, also check for corrosion inside the connector at the motor as they always get corroded and cause weird issues similar to this although this is the first time i heard of an issue like this,.