Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

Mercedes E320: Mercedes-Benz 2009 e320. Smoke odor I can't

Customer Question

Mercedes-Benz 2009 e320. Smoke odor I can't get rid of. In cold weather no smell. In warm weather the outdoor is there.
What is the source.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Do you mean smoke as in cigarette or as in burning engine oil ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I bought it used. Previous owner smoked in car.
Ok does the smell come from the vents ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think it is coming from vents. . Carpets don't smell. I cleaned the headliner. On hot days smell is near ceiling. I thought there may be residual smoke in the sun roof assembly. But I think the most likely source is the ventilation system. With ac on you don't smell smoke. With heat on you smell a little bit.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there an recycled air filter? . I changed the filter in the engine compartment. I spray a whole can of lysol into the blower suction.
That was going to be my next suggestion was the Lysol ..... Can you upload a picture of the ac head unit ? I want to see if you have the charcoal filter option.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here's the picture of the control unit in the car. That's what you wanted, right?
Yes thank you , i was looking to see if you had an additional hvac filter, you do not have that option , i am afraid that the only way yo get the smell out is to have a internal ionizer cleaner done, there is a machine that sets up near the passenger floor board where the blower motor is at, then you run the ac at full speed with all the windows closed and it is supposed to defunk the evaporator and heater core, usually any detail shop has this machine. we had a special one at mercedes , the smoke smell can be buried into the leather, headliner,. any fabric material in the car, this may never be 100% remedied but should be able to be lessened. i hope this helps, i myself am not a smoker and cannot deal with the smell what so ever. so i totally understand.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lou, have you ever tried or know of any success with a foaming cleaner sprayed via tube down from the fan or up through the drain? Lubrgard Koolit is an example.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lubegard Koolit.
That is the same for the most part as what i was saying about the lysol the difference is it foams, so we usually drill a small hole at the base of the heater bock just past the motor and spray it up into the case when the heat and ac are on at the same time so the doors are all open to both the heater core and the evaporator, the problem is that i dont think that will fix your smell issue as usually only moldy and foul moisture smells come from the heater ducts, i think your issue will be in all the leather and the fabrics and carpet :(