Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Slk320: To get the trunk open I had to use the emergency release

Customer Question

To get the trunk open I had to use the emergency release by raising the boot. I stopped halfway to get to the release. Opened the trunk but now i have nothing. When I hit the retract switch I don't hear the pump. I seem to have no power. What did I do? Can I fix it?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, can you elaborate a little more on your issue? did it start with a hard top issue or a trunk issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started as a trunk issue. Thad top had been working good!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the trunk was just a little out of adjustment.
ok sorry for the delay at what position is the roof and trunk in at the moment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The roof is closed. I never went far enough for it to move. However the back windows are open. The trunk lid is Down at this point but the neither end is locked
Ok start the car and press the switch forward to close the roof and see if the trunk lid pulls down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started the car and pushed the switch forward and I didn't get any thing. It doesn't even sound like the pump is running.
Ok did the light flash at you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the car for only a month and never had any problems with the retractable roof however I just recently found out there should be a light in the switch. I don't believe has worked since i got the car. So to answer your question, no. No flashing light.
oh ok so when you start the car the switch does not light up at all? it not we will need to check for power or a blown fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check the fuses and power
fuse19.20.24 are all the fuses in the system for the hardtop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will check them.
ok, i know this process is slow , sorry, i will do what i can to help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem. I know with you not being at the car you have to start from the beginning. Your the expert and I think it is great what your doing and I am glad to continue to go through the motions. I am learning a lot. Somewhere I read that if the sensors were stopped at the wrong time the system will shut down due to being confused. But that's just what I read. Your are doing a great job and I really appreciate your help!
I APPRECIATE THAT
you are correct, what happens is if certain sensors are activated in conjunction when they should not, the computer sets an implausible code until the switches are back in sync, the trick is finding which ones without a scanner lol, here is a link for your car. https://www.mediafire.com/folder/g101u895oho4p/170_roof everything you ever wanted to know about your roof.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So my next step would be to check fuses and power.Correct?
YES start with the easy stuff lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuses are good. Where should I check the power at. The Pump?
no, we need to figure out why the light on the switch does not light red, if the fuses are good then the next thing is to turn the car on and check for power at the fuses to make sure they have power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power at the fuses and verified the fuses were good!
ok, can you send me a few pictures of the top and the trunk so i can see how it is all positioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If theses are not sufficient I can take more when it is light outside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As you can see the top has not moved. It never unlocked. The back windows are down. The trunk is down but not locked.
ok thanks for the pictures, the one thing that i am still concerned about is the fact that the roof switch does not light up red when the car is started. can you work the windows when the car is running? do any of the windows function?you said you opened the trunk at one point , is the trunk in fact latched in the center in the back?at any point was liquid spilled in the center shifter area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The two door windows work as they are supposed to. The back windows which go up and down with the top do not move. The trunk is back latched and will open and close. Upon further inspection of the switch it looks like the cover had been broken, When I pulled it off I don't know what it is supposed to look like but it looks as though there is an empty socket there. I will send you a pic. Maybe i'm just missing a light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WOW IT looks like the bulb is missing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what i was wondering. Im looking for the part but have not found one yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did order a new one but it probably won't be here for a few days. It has been broken since I got the car. Is there anything we can do until then?
yes im sure there is, i am looking for a way to manually lock the trunk lid down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your still with me I hope!
yes sorry, i will not leave you lol, sorry i got pulled away.
are you able to grab the trunk lid where it is not locked at and pull the trunk all the way open and back as if the top was going to move?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have only closed it from the half position. I have not done that from the fear of blowing a cylinder. If I move it do I need to loosen the screw on the pump?
No i do not think so just pull it up evenly i want you to pull it up and back as far as it will go, then start the car and work the roof switch to open the roof and see if it commences, also make sure that the shade that is supposed to be pulled out and latched is in fact latched in the trunk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the trunk up but unfortunately it didn't work. I still hear nothing from the pump.
ok, i am not sure how to latch the trunk forward to close it fully, also did you confirm the shade is installed into the catch?