Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Sl500: I have a 2000 sl500 with 17,000 miles. There is a very

Customer Question

I have a 2000 sl500 with 17,000 miles. There is a very annoying creaking noise coming from the right side of the car. It is most noticeable at low speeds when just barely moving in forward or reverse. Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.
HI, If the creaking sounds like old bedsprings, then it is the lower balljoint. To check, you will need a helper and a 6ft prybar. Jack up the front end so that the tire is about 1-2" off the ground. Have the helper slip the long prybar between the ground and the wheel and lift up on the wheel while you watch the balljoint where it goes thru the front spindle. If there is any movement seen, it is worn and needs to be replaced Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.