Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 23 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

CLS 63 AMG: I have a 2012 CLS 63 AMG. Engine started to vibrate

Customer Question

I have a 2012 CLS 63 AMG. Engine started to vibrate and engine light came on. Trouble excellerating, vibrates over 60 MPH. Ok on flat or downhill grade but any uphill or excellerating leads to vibration and non response. On vacation in SD with limited mechanical options. Thanks for any help or advice. Have used cruise control today fro 300 miles and I have not used cruise control before. Timothy schmidt
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just started car. Started fine but after racing engine a couple of times vibration came back
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Check engine line came back on after racing engine a couple of times.
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
Hello On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection. The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious. if youre' stuck as you say then check over main engine sensorsThis could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;Airflow meterCrank position sensorCam position sensorO2 sensorThrottle position sensor
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you