Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

GL 450: ,We have a 2010 GL450 and just had the RF wheel brg

Customer Question

,We have a 2010 GL450 and just had the RF wheel brg replaced by the selling dealer,when we picked up the car the front suspension was right down to the bottom approx 2 hours after the repairs where done. This has never happened before,we are now told by the dealer that the copressor and the front airbags have to be replaced @ a cost of $ 4800.00
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 10 months ago.
Hello, what kind of info are you looking for from me? what can i do to help, i read the story but am unclear of what you are asking , Lou P.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm asking if Mercedes is having problems with leaking airbags and if so should I have to pay for their problem and is there a proses to go through before lifting this car
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is this a common problem
ok i am back sorry for the delay
well how many kilometers is on your car as it seems the number you have is pretty high , it shows(###) ###-####
what i can assume is that the airbag had a slight issue that you were unaware of and when the car was raised it showed the failure and thats why the back failed, i can tell you that the life of a airbag and compressor is about 60k miles if that depending on location and how many times the car is driven, the compressor activates every time the car is started, and the bags ride their whole life in one position so when they get raised it tends to show the weak points of the bags, i do not think the shop did anything wrong, if you did not bring the car to the shop the issue would have still surfaced just not as soon , BUT the cars did have weak bags BUT at the same time you would not have made it this many miles with a bad bag so i will say it was normal wear and tear that surfaced because the car was lifted, the car can be lifted with no special procedures as the module detects the height of the suspension so it cuts out the leveling. i hope this makes sense and helps ease your mind that the shop is not doing anything wrong, let me know your thoughts. Lou P. Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Two airbags and a compressor all go bad at the same time ?
Come on Joe,and normal life is 60 k I guess that's it for my first and last Mercedes
well, my name is ***** ***** and heres the thinking
when a airbag goes bad its usually because of age, which means the compressor is not far along as it has been used more than the airbags as it runs all the time, now i can tell you that you dont always have to do a compressor, they could be trying to cover their butts, if the compressor comes on and has a nice little hum to it i would not worry about it, if it comes on and sounds like a jar of marbles then it is time to replace, and even if you have one shock that failed you always do shocks in pairs, you can for sure just do one but i can promise the other side can fail shortly after. as for the 60k, that is average, not all last the same so dont hate the brand, just going off of my experience as 16 years in the dealer that is what we can see here and there, some may last 80-100k it alldepends on the scenario the car is operated in. no different than any other brand, BUT they did have bad bags to begin with that would fail super fast and blow out, so they updated the bags and now they are better. i hope this helps, make sure you question why they want to do the compressor. that can save you some money, oh and check out www.arnottindustries.com for the parts. Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.