Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

Clk350C: while driving and nothing plugged in, the clock rewound

Customer Question

while driving and nothing plugged in, the clock rewound to 12:00 and stopped. the instrument (information)cluster went haywire, like a computer blinking out and the screen went white. Can't read the miles or info screen model is CLK350 convert. 2007 the speed still registers but the car info, mileage diagnostic info is barely visable. What is the problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard, sorry for the wait on this question. Anytime the clock resets and the instrument cluster goes haywire you have to suspect a fault with the battery or the charging system or with the power supply to the cluster or an internal fault with the cluster itself. If the battery is strong and the car starts fine I would suspect a fault with the cluster. The car should be connected to the Mercedes tester to check for fault codes stored in the instrument cluster and in other related modules. There will be fault codes stored that point to the problem. If the battery and charging system is good and the fuses for the cluster are good I would suspect a faulty instrument cluster. Disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 minutes will sometimes reset the cluster and get it working again.Let me know if you have any questions.Marty