Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Question on my '98 sl 500 I just took the top off

Customer Question

question on my '98 sl 500
I just took the top off for the season. When I went to put the convertible top up, it will not operate. We did not change the battery this year however, recently I had the center consol lock vacuum pump disconnected because it was making a "hissing sound when we turned off the car each day. Year ago something similar happened but that time, the top wine up 1/2 way, this time, nothing. However when I push the button "down, is makes a "whining noise" as if something is moving and stops after 20 second. Is this a simple reset? if so, what are the steps? TKs, Dennis
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just checking, as for the console lock switch, I had it simply glued shut after disconnecting it to seal the system. It did not look as thought it was a "pass through" switch, so I don;t think this has anything to do with the top. It did however fix the passenger side light wiper. It was stuck in the middle of the bulb but as soon as the vac leak went away, it re-positioned itself back to it's correct point. tks, looking forward to a fix, you guys have helped a bunch in the past 5-6 years I've been on this site.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
looked on line since I;ve not heard back from you, sorry, this is the first time in all the years I've had this program that I've not heard back from in this long of a period. I checked the hyd fluid under the spare tire, it is on the full mark. l tried to raise it manually, the driver side will release, the passenger side will not. Is that an indications as to the problem?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've raised and lowered the windows many times to reset, not sure of the correct procedure.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. You may have a jammed bracket or guide on the passenger side causing the issue here or a bent component in the convertible top itself needing repaired or replaced.I have also seen issues with a weak top control motor itself needing replaced.If you have not had these checked into to see if any of these are an issue here this needs done and the faulty component repaired or replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I release the passenger side manual release to raise it to check for a bent piecemeal putting the hard top back on help release it?.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Do you have the special manual top release tool at all?It usually came with the vehicle originally and looks like a wrench on one end and a post sticking out on the other end?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes, but the passenger side does not release to allow me to pull the top up
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately with the tool not releasing the top on the passenger side it is difficult to say for sure how this can be released.This might be best to have done by a dealer or repair center that works on this model here as they may need to remove some paneling to do this.