MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

Abs & esp light on. I have an 2004 ml 350. A mechanic told

Customer Question

abs & esp light on. I have an 2004 ml 350. A mechanic told me I need to replace the entire steering column. Could that be correct?
JA: So many factors can cause ABS issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My mechanic made some adjustments and the light went out for a few days - then returned. He hooked up system to computer, went on line to MB and was told the entire steering column needed to be replaced. Is this a common fix?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, not at all.
JA: OK! The Mercedes Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right.
Customer: OK. Still,my question is, is the replacement of the entire steering column a possible remedy to the abs/esp light
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: No. he has cared for the car for the past five years and I have faith in his judgment. My question remains, is steering column replacement a possible remedy for my problem?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** order to advise you I will need to know the fault codes that are stored in the ABS/ESP system. Can you call the shop and ask for the fault codes?