Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

Hey my car died while I was going down the freeway it just

Customer Question

Hey my car died while I was going down the freeway it just sort of turned off when I try to press the gas pedal that's what I noticed it wouldn't accelerate so I look down and it was flashing the code on the odometer P - 04600. Do you know what this means when I looked it up all it said was fuel sensor circuit low input
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ma sensor
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: C280 1998
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.
Hi, sorry for the wait on this question. For this problem you need to test for fuel pressure and ignition spark. If the car quit running while driving I suspect that either the crankshaft position sensor failed or the fuel pump failed or the main relay for the engine control unit failed. You need to start by checking to see if you have fuel pressure when cranking the motor and if you have spark to the spark plugs when cranking. Whatever you saw flashing in the instrument cluster is not relevant to the problem. Mercedes does not flash fault codes in the cluster.Let me know if you need further assistance.