Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2005 sl500. The fuel door will not open. My key is

Customer Question

I have a 2005 sl500. The fuel door will not open. My key is dead as well. Can you tell me how to unlatch the gas door manually so I can gas up to take to the shop Monday please.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My gas door will not unlock
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I just need to know how to manually open the gas door.
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: No. I'm taking it in but my tank of s empty so I just need to know how to manually open the gas door
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need to know how to open my gas door manually.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.
Hi, sorry for the wait on this question. There is a manual release for the fuel door that can be accessed from inside the trunk. You will need to pull back the trunk lining behind the fuel door to access the lock actuator. There is a rod sticking out of the back of the actuator that you will need to pull towards the rear of the car to unlock the fuel door. Click on the attachment below for a picture of the actuator. If you look closely you will see the rod sticking out of the back of the actuator. Let me know if you need further assistance.Marty