Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I am ***** *****. I have a 1981 380SL that I have done

Customer Question

Hi, I am ***** *****. I have a 1981 380SL that I have done the waterpump replacement on. When starting to put things back together I see there is a "pin" on the balancer that sticks out and now hits the timing marker
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure, As mentioned, a 81 380SL, we pulled the dampner and balancer forward a few inches to get the bottom bolt of the pump on. slide the balancer back, was manually turning it to get TDC and noticed the pin sticking out, I have a picture I can send
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.
Hi Roger, that pin sticking up out of the balancer should just clear the pointer on the water pump. Make sure that you are installing the balancer the right way. If you flip it over it may hit the pointer. You can also try tapping the pin down into the balancer. I've never seen one come out but that could be your problem. If you would like to send a picture I'll take a look and see if I see anything out of order.Marty