sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER SAYS : DISPLAY DEFECTIVE // HIGH BEAM

Customer Question

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER SAYS : DISPLAY DEFECTIVE // HIGH BEAM INDICATOR ALWAYS ILLUMINATED // DIRECTIONS WORKING BUT DO NOT SHOW IN THE CLUSTER / NO MILEAGE DISPLAY IN CLUSTER / SRS LIGHT AND BRAKE LIGHT ON BUT BRAKES AND SRS ALL APPEAR NORMAL / BATTERY SYMBOL DISPLAYED / SUDDEN DEAD BATTERY OVER NIGHT BUT BATTERY / ALTERNATOR BOTH TEST GOOD
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: CAN I SWAP OUT A USED CLUSTER FROM SIMILAR YEAR / MODEL MERCEDES?? ( 2003 MERCEDES C 240 WAGON OR MUST IT BE REFLASHED?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I LIVE IN A VERY SMALL RURAL TOWN, NO QUALIFIED MERCEDES MECHANIC NEARBY.
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: NICE CAR, NO DAMAGE ( NO FLOOD ) HISTORY, 68k ACTUAL MILES
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!A used instrument cluster would work and wouldn't need to be flashed, just make sure the part number of the unit installed matches the part number of the one removed.You'll need to ensure that you go through the proper legal steps if you're going to install a used cluster. You'll need to contact your local license branch, usually they will need to document the actual mileage on the vehicle, what is shown on the replacement instrument cluster, and then a permanent label is affixed to the door jamb stating the discrepancy.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
THIS CAR HAS A LEGITIMATE AND DOCUMENTED 68k MILES FROM NEW, WILL THE USED CLUSTER DISPLAY THAT OR THE MILEAGE FROM THE "DONOR" VEHICLE?BECAUSE THERE ARE OTHER ISSUES (DISPLAY DEFECTIVE // HIGH BEAM INDICATOR ALWAYS ILLUMINATED // DIRECTIONS WORKING BUT DO NOT SHOW IN THE CLUSTER / NO MILEAGE DISPLAY IN CLUSTER / SRS LIGHT AND BRAKE LIGHT ON BUT BRAKES AND SRS ALL APPEAR NORMAL / BATTERY SYMBOL DISPLAYED / SUDDEN DEAD BATTERY OVERNIGHT BUT BATTERY / ALTERNATOR BOTH TEST GOOD , FUEL GAUGE READS EMPTY WITH LIGHT ON, BUT TANK IS FULL TO THE TOP) ) AM I BETTER OFF TO SEND IT TO BBA REMAN TO HAVE THEM REPAIR THE CLUSTER ??
I wouldn't recommend a company that claims to test or repair modules. If a part has failed then it should be replaced. Those types of companies usually result in continued issues with money and time wasted.The mileage would show whatever is on the replacement cluster, which is why you would need to go through the proper channels for legal documentation if you weren't installing a part from your dealer ordered specifically for your vehicle.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ARE ALL OF THE OTHER ISSUES( DISPLAY DEFECTIVE // HIGH BEAM INDICATOR ALWAYS ILLUMINATED // DIRECTIONS WORKING BUT DO NOT SHOW IN THE CLUSTER / NO MILEAGE DISPLAY IN CLUSTER / SRS LIGHT AND BRAKE LIGHT ON BUT BRAKES AND SRS ALL APPEAR NORMAL / BATTERY SYMBOL DISPLAYED / SUDDEN DEAD BATTERY OVERNIGHT BUT BATTERY / ALTERNATOR BOTH TEST GOOD , FUEL GAUGE READS EMPTY WITH LIGHT ON, BUT TANK IS FULL TO THE TOP)RELATED TO THE CLUSTER AS WELL ??
There may be more than one issue going on at the same time but if all of the problems started at once then the cluster is the most likely issue and should be addressed first.