Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

S500: my 1998 s500 is beginning to stall in 1st gear. It has

Customer Question

my 1998 s500 is beginning to stall in 1st gear. It has 190,000 miles on it. Don't know if the transmission has ever been serviced. I bought it 3 years ago with 160,000 miles.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. If this only occurs in first gear this may be due to a fault with the torque converter clutch solenoid itself or a fault with the valve body in some cases.This will have to be checked/tested further to pinpoint the cause then from there repaired to correct this issue.This will involve having the fault codes read out to see what codes are set then diagnosed and repaired from there.It is possible this is debris in the transmission/valve body from not being serviced and having it serviced may correct this issue here in some cases. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete